Saturday, June 19, 2010

Unchartered Territory . . .

So, swim team.  The first meet was held in Fillmore.  I had NO idea what to expect.  All day?  Indoor?  Outdoor?  Concessions?  Loud Speakers?  Chairs?  Shade?  I am a professional ball park attendee and can produce for our needs in an instant but I had no idea what to expect.
Maybe googles are a fashion statement not equipment?
I was quite surprised when numbers were being drawn on with a black sharpie.  Seemed kind of like a tattoo but was efficient in getting the job done.  I wouldn't allow any extra -- the girls wanted stingrays or the like drawn onto their backs but this old-fashioned mother gave that idea a quick veto.
Nan still needs to learn about friction.  One day she will realize she can conserve a great deal of energy if she would swim with her head down.
I was completely unprepared and didn't even bring a camera.  The girls did well (not stellar but well) for their first meet but we never really found out the race results.  I guess they come in the mail at a future date.  These pictures were taken at the practice meet held in Nephi.  I wish they all could be like this.  Quick, direct and to the point.  There one minute and off doing yard work the next.
I love the physical conditioning of swimming.  Endurance, endurance, endurance.  I think it is so important for kids to know how to swim and this seems to be another part of childhood disappearing into the great beyond. 

1 comments:

Ducksoup said...

hey tin, i think you typed googles instead of goggles.

Post a Comment