I was blessed to live next to these two people -- my mother's parents. Whipped honey, fresh bread and hot cereal were part of our daily routine. Many nights were spent watching KBYU and shelling black walnuts. Besides their great example of service and love, they taught my mother about Jesus Christ, and raised her to be an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In turn, she did the same with me.
And with the same devotion . . . I was blessed with another set of grandparents who taught me to love geography and to always remember "sugar compliments salt and salt compliments sugar." Not to mention the memories of BYU football and basketball, sometimes I got to go to the game, sometimes I went to the mall and shopped during the game and other times when the game was too close for comfort I walked the perimeter of Lavell Edwards Stadium. Andy wonders where I get my game attitude from -- must be Granny prodding me from heaven that her great granddaughters team is experiencing a high level of injustices due to the referee/umpires INABILITY to make the RIGHT call.
The greater importance though is the example they gave my father. He was also taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. The adage is true -- a righteous mother influences generations.
My mother was our guide to the cemetery this day and I took photos for posterity of the headstones of my progenitors. Some day I will be in charge of decorating the graves and I need to know who is where and make sure they are honored as they should be.
| My Mona Roots run deep . . . |
4 comments:
I think it is so important to show respect and visit our family members' graves in the cemetary. It has been a tradition in my family to go to my grandparents' graves in Helper every year on Memorial weekend and I loved passing on the tradition to my daughter. I had the opportunity to visit the graves of Ryan's ancestors in Nephi and Mona this year and it is always a wonderful experience for me to learn about my heritage and the heritage of my husband. I wonder if you and I are somehow related distantly by marriage because my mother's sister married a Ewell from Genola.
first off, let me just brag about the fact that I found this new address with out extra clues. pregnancy has not killed my brain after all!
second of all, YOU HAVE BLOGGED. i forgive you for your past blogging transgressions, if you promise to do better from now on.
thirdly, i had no idea your ewell (pronounced E-well here in southern utah, go figure) grandparents both went by their middle names. amazing. i love to visit grandma and grandpa's grave. and i'm glad you posted those pictures. it made me feel all elijah-ee. It's so awesome to have such a great heritage!!!
finally, keep blogging, sister! i'm changing your address in my thingy RIGHT NOW.
what a sweet post tin! glad you are back and even though you ditched the weeat thing i'm just glad you are back to posting away.
It would be so nice to get pictures of all the graves. We'll have to work on that. We would need to go to Mona and Nephi (both cemeteries) and then Santaquin and Goshen. I think that would cover it.
Post a Comment