Monday, September 3, 2012

Wicked

For our tenth anniversary my sweet, dear, kind, amazing, smarter-than-me husband took me to The Big Apple, also known as New York, New York.   I loved almost every minute but at the same time had a deep feeling of gratitude that this was just a short visit.  Relishing in the knowledge we would be returning shortly to our quiet, country town living.

While there we went and watched Wicked.  A broadway musical I knew nothing about and was slightly nervous of the title (not scary I learned).

I dreamed from the moment I watched this magnificent production of attending with my daughters.  I loved the message of the show and wanted to share it with them.  When it began touring and came to Salt Lake  I was extremely disappointed; the ticket price was outrageous.  It would almost be worth flying the girls to New York.

This year with Mary Dawn's assistance we had tickets in her cart.  I was ecstatic.  Short lived mind you.  She was delayed checking out and the tickets were dumped.  Never to be found again.  I was comforted that it wasn't meant to be and I would try again the next time it toured.

But blessings abound.

My mother purchased tickets and then found she would be out of state for the performance.  Through her great kindness I had the opportunity to take my girls to my favorite musical of all time.

We made it into a mini-vacation and used one of our free Marriott nights.  Andy swam with the boys at the pool and the girls and I went on a date.  They wanted to know what it was about.  I explained it was the prequel to the Wizard of Oz and that maybe Elphaba, also known as the Wicked Witch of the West, may not be the evil person they have been lead to believe.

Magical -- the best word to describe it.  Both girls sat on the edge of their seats absorbing the fictional world being created.  Their eyes glistened, smiles beamed and there were giggles, giggles and giggles.  It was a night I will always remember and I hope they do as well.
  

T-shirts were purchased as souvenirs.  I really wanted to get them a "Defy Gravity" shirt (a message I hoped they learned) but their size was sold out.  

If dinner had been better the event would have been perfect -- perfection is over-rated though, really.  

Sunday morning we toured Temple Square as a family.  It was beautiful.  The grounds were serene, the temple had windows which were cracked open, something I would have never thought possible.  We spent a great deal of time in the basement of the North Visitor's Center viewing the interactive exhibits.  The spirit was strong and I felt an overwhelming peace.  



The whole deal was sweetened when I found I had captured this awesome photograph of my children.  They are my greatest blessing along with their father who happens to be my favorite, just saying.

Event occurred August 25-26, 2012

0 comments:

Post a Comment