Monday, March 7, 2011

Morning Reflection . . .

Andy wakes up first in our home.  He will usually shower, get dressed and ready, wake up the girls and commence scripture study.  I regretfully admit I am not always in attendance.  Morning is still my least favorite time of the day and sometimes when it has been an extra rough night with Aysen the bonds of the bed hold me captive.

Aysen and Kyler join in on occasion.  Aysen sleeps quite well as long as there is a body he can curl up next to.  When he realizes he is on his own he awakens and voices his plea for rescue.  Kyler sleeps and sleeps unless he has something he is looking forward to and his internal excitement alarm goes off.

This morning Aysen joined the morning routine.  He may not say one word but he communicates quite effectively.  You know what he wants and how he wants it as long as you pay attention to his guiding finger and grunts.
Today he had a need to wear socks.  As I watched his dad's crew (mid-calf) socks reach the top of Aysen's thighs I was amazed.  He is so little but has also grown so much.  My thoughts raced to the future when he will be the same size as his father.  The years of schooling, scouting, athletics(?), other interests, a mission, college and marriage?  This was way more than my mind wanted to embrace.  He is only 21 pounds.  He doesn't say a word.  But Taylei was this small eleven SHORT years ago.  Time flies to swiftly.
Today as I complain about the cupboards he empties I need to remember this phase won't last long.  My dishes will stay where they belong and our hygiene items won't be strung all over the bathroom floors.
He will be able to eat on his own without requiring a call to hazmat to clean up the aftermath.  He will grow and someday fill his daddy's socks.

I need make a note to self to enjoy the hear and now, to embrace all the stages of life.  To smile and enjoy the journey especially after I find the 'splashing in toilet water' mess.

I also need to try and embrace a quote I once heard, "Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan says, "Oh, %#*$! She's up again."  Right now I'm quite sure he just sits and smiles as I sleep away my morning . . .

1 comments:

Ducksoup said...

that quote is awesome. even the few times a year i do wake up in the morning, i don't think satan thinks that... might need to change my ways so he does. might need to start liking mornings a little more too - - especially since you wake up about 2 hours before me.

Post a Comment