With great anticipation, as of today at 9 a.m., Kyler is a kindergarten graduate. In true Aysen fashion I say, "Yessssssssssssssss."
We made it! He made it!
Kindergarten was a challenge for this little boy. He is not Taylei nor Keanna. Another moment in life that taught me he is his own person.
At our first parent teacher conference his scores were TERRIBLE. 40%. I almost fell out of my chair with shock. I didn't expect him to be the brain surgeon of the class but . . .
Things progressed, homework was given, learning occurred and we ended the year with an almost perfect report card.
I will testify the greatest help to accomplishing this, a little thing called the Book of Mormon. Our family scripture study isn't perfect but I believe in the promise that reading this book together as a family will teach a child to read. This helped this little boy.
As part of graduation, Kyler was asked to make a poster. His assigned topic, "flowers grow in the ground." I was super excited about the assignment. The creative juices were flowing. We had an extremely busy week and I kept delaying Kyler and his desires to work on his poster.
I came home the day before it was due and found he had taken matters into his own hands with clouds, dirt and a sun. I was hit with an internal brick. This wasn't my project. This was my son's project. It wasn't about how creative I am. It would be much more impressive to see what his beautiful mind would create.
I let go and let him take control.
He chose out the paper and I used the Cricut to cut the flowers for him. He arranged and adhered them. I cut leaves and stems. He once again glued them in place. I loved doing this with him. He has so much talent bottled up within his head, I'm glad he had the opportunity to use it.
The results were magnificent.
Mrs. Larsen was an amazing teacher. Kyler had 28 kids in the class. Wow!
I helped in his class on Friday's and I would usually leave shaking my head, completely bewildered. She let them do projects I wouldn't want to try with just one child, example - paper mache. They learned how different cultures from around the world celebrate Christmas. The list of going above and beyond goes on and on and on.
Mrs. Larsen did all this and NEVER raised her voice. She didn't need to. The students listened and responded to her gentle command. I need to take some parenting lessons from her.
Her discipline system involved colored dots. Each day a calendar came home with a dot colored for the day. Green = good, Blue = warned but didn't correct behavior, Red = serious trouble.
I'm proud to report Kyler had one blue and all the rest green. The blue dot was on the very first day the system was used. We talked about respecting our teacher and following directions. I'm glad Kyler adapted to the importance of this very quickly!
We once again enjoyed amazing support from our family as they came and watched him graduate.
(Why we had to have his popsicle in every picture I can not understand, why kindergarteners were given popsicles while in their Sunday best is a mystery as well. I'm guessing this is another learning moment for me, something like seize the moment and don't fret about things a washer can solve).
With the recent change of address for Grandma Williams we also got to enjoy her presence.
I must take a moment to add how amazing she is and how much help she has been in our home. I believe my children are praying against them having a timely completion of the remodel next door. They love having her live with us, Grandpa and Jason are o.k. too.
Graduation pictures seem to be a great way to show growth. I predict in the next graduation picture I will take the role of the shortest participant. I'm not trying to wish any days away but these two boys are growing so fast, sooner or later they will pass me by.
The kindergarten class created self-portraits which were hanging on the walls for decoration. I was in the classroom the day they worked on these and the personalities were shining through. (I ended up loving all of the kids as well, each so different, each a spirit sent from heaven). Uncle Jason was nice enough to agree to Kyler's request to attend and photographed the event for me.
I've always thought Kyler was a spitting image of my brothers but maybe he looks like his Uncle Jason as well -- they seem to have an uncanny resemblance.
Aysen spent a ton of time in Kyler's classroom. He thought he was just as big as the students in the class. He participated in stations, art projects and he even ran the Mona mile which is a pretty big loop around the playground. Mrs. Wohlforth, the principal gave the students a flag. Aysen was determined it was really his and by the time we made it outside we found Aysen had used his persuasion skills and convinced his father the kite needed to be flown sooner not later.
My little boys aren't so little anymore. I'm so glad they are growing and learning but a few blinks and one year has past and then two and three.
As the words of the song so elequently express: Time flies on wings of lightning; We cannot call it back;...life is quick in passing. 'Tis as a single day. ("Improve the Shining Moments," Hymns, no. 226).
And in the beautiful words of our holy prophet: Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It's so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they're gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of 'what if' and 'if only.'
If I could only learn to live by those words.
Event occurred May 25, 2012
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment