As of late, I've been starving. I eat a meal and within ten minutes I'm looking for something to supplement it with. This problem may be linked to the amount of mint flavored goodness that is found around my home this time of year. Fernwood Mints are still number one on the list but Kara's Mint Truffles and the chocolate mint orange come in a close second. My supply is now completely dry. Maybe the urge to eat will slowly die off but doesn't seem likely.
Yesterday Paul and Garrett stopped in. They were in the process of nursing Diane's car home. It had overheated on her way to work. They needed to let it cool off again and came in for a visit. I was in the middle of cooking the high-class, loved by all, non-nutritious meal of Ramen for Kyler and his friend, Bridger. Paul told me I needed to make fried-ramen instead. My interest was peaked and he made a batch for himself, Garrett and I. I had him add an egg to make it a little more authentic. One pack of noodles divided into three doesn't go very far. My palate was wet and I dreamed of having more. Not quite as tasty as sushi but still on the top end of goodness.
Today I was determined to make it on my own. To make sure there was plenty I made two packages. Kyler was quite distraught. He couldn't understand what I was doing to his noodles.
Food never seems to taste as good the second time I try it. Lessons were learned though. 1. Two packages of Ramen is more than enough for two people. 2. Never look at the nutrition facts while you are eating. I've always considered Ramen to be a non-food food. Something your children love and is extremely cheap but lacks nutritional value. I would have never guessed so many calories were packed into such a small package.
I'm sure I'll eat it again but not for a while and maybe just served as a side dish instead of the entire meal. I'm still not sure how to curb my love of food. It seems the more I think about losing my extra 20 and making my husband happy by becoming a little more fit, the further I drift from accomplishing this goal.
I no longer have a burning desire to eat egg-fried ramen. I've moved on. I'm ready to dabble in baking a gourmet dessert, something rich in caramel, chocolate, maybe even with a little mint and a crisp texture. Visions of sugar plums dance in my head . . .
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that looks so good to this fried-ramen eating household.
it is deeply distressing the amount of calories -- and carbs -- in ramen. when i had the stupid gestational diabetes i learned that sad, sad truth and haven't eaten it since.
but i might today!
and who IS THIS posting all these fabulous bits of information? IS IT YOU, TINA?!?!
not sure anything can dress up ramon noodles enough to make them good enough for a full meal. I'm glad the kids love them, hopefully the boys maintain that they are "good", atleast until they are done with there mission. Missionaries seem to survive OK on them. ;-)
Post a Comment