Wednesday, February 9, 2011
A New Kind of Trophy
Today was the 3rd grade spelling bee and Keanna had practiced her little guts out. She went and stayed with Aunt Mary Dawn for the weekend and my mom became her spelling coach. Even though she was right in the middle of reading Harry Potter 4 for the second time she kept the book closed while she learned how to spell words like 'bombastic.' And out of pure curiosity, when was the last time you used that word in a sentence? Just in case the answer was never, I spent a little time with the dictionary: bombast |ˈbämbast|, noun, high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people. DERIVATIVES: bombastic |bämˈbastik| adjective. Where do words like that come from?
Her class has been having some practice spelling bees the first of which she won. The next time wasn't as favorable, she came home in tears because she had lost. She spelled worldwide and forgot to include the 'e' on the end. She will never forget how to spell that word again. (I still remember the two words I got out on in spelling bees twenty-five years ago: secretary and colonel). The six kids left in the competition had gotten out on the same round. I explained to her she wouldn't have lost, everyone would have gotten to spell again. She was a finalist in all of the other practices which didn't ever finish because of time running short.
Last night my mom came to our home at 9:30 p.m. to help her review the words one last time. They had established a system and had made it to column six of seven. Many of the words I can't pronounce. To say Keanna was nervous would be a great understatement. Her stomach became continuously more upset as she missed words she had never missed before. Shortly after 10 p.m. my mom declared Keanna was too tired and rest was more important. I tried to help relieve the pressure and kept telling her if she won or lost I wouldn't love her one ounce more or one ounce less.
The spelling bee ended up going 13 rounds with words on the 8th grade level. Keanna's list of words included: hitch, makeshift, vision, dignify, abolitionists (this is a word she can't pronounce but spells without hesitation), notorious, salary, fortification, establishment, preliminary, capillary, desolate and engineer. I believe on round 7 everyone was eliminated except her and another girl who had also spent some time practicing. Her competition misspelled 'rhombus'. Keanna's championship word was 'misinterpret'. She won! I, along with her cheering section, Grandma and Grandpa Sperry, Aunt Diane, Kyler and Aysen were so excited for her.
Thanks so much for all of your help Grandma. She couldn't have done it without you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
that is the coolest thing ever. what a gal.
and who is this posting?
Yeah!!!! Keanna!!! So awesome! That girl is outstanding! Just like her Mom. Tell her congrats!
way cool.....Tina you've got to progress from camera's to video...get with the times! Sheesh I would've loved to have seen Keanna spell all those words at the spelling bee. Great job Nanner!
Post a Comment