Monday, February 7, 2011

The Night of High Performance

Tonight we had a pretty low key FHE.  Andy took a break from his closet building and announced the theme of the evening: The Night of High Performance.  Each member of the family was given five quiz questions.  Kyler's questions had to do with addition facts -- his skills in this area have improved greatly as of late.  Keanna's questions were spelling words (she has the third grade spelling bee this week and has been studying her little heart out).  Taylei's questions started off with her play scales on the piano.  She was successful with the scale of C but became confused on the next one.  She was then asked random questions about the boiling temperature of water, the stars and stripes on the flag etc.  Andy and I weren't left out of the game.  He wanted me to name the planets - I think I got 7 of 9.  After he threw out this question I changed from the easy ones (name the continents of the earth) I had been giving him to a question Mr. Farr asked Keanna's class while I was there.  If you have 13 quarters, 22 dimes, 45 nickels and 429 pennies how much money would you have?  Keanna's class is learning to figure these out using mental computation only.  Andy was off by $1.  Keanna nailed it - $11.99.  (I was dumbfounded when Mr. Farr asked his class this question and couldn't believe how many got it right.  Being able to figure out money is a life skill not many people learn.  Props to Mr. Farr on challenging his class to think.)  Kyler answered the most questions correctly, 5 for 5.  Maybe I should be creative and come up with an award for the winner to be displayed neatly in the bedroom until the next competition.  Maybe this warrants a need to go and shop . . .  or maybe I'll just stay home, save my money and spend more time with these glorious beings.

2 comments:

AndyW said...

that was a fun family home evening. Kyler did well with addition when the numbers were 5 or less...like 5 + 3. He could easily put the fingers up on each hand and count them up. It took awhile when he was asked 6 + 3. He doesn't have 6 fingers on one hand...so that was a bit more challenging for him. Keanna did amazing with spelling, she has memorized so many words in preparation for her spelling bee. Her last word was super hard because she was making fun of me for not getting the money question right. So I asked her a word she hadn't memorized. All in all, it was fun, and we learned some new facts together.

Marie Says Yes said...

i'm stealing this idea.

amen.

Post a Comment