Saturday, February 12, 2011

"We almost lost Keanna"

These are words you hope to never hear.  Before Andy explained further my mind flashed with different scenarios as to what they may have meant.

Andy took the girls to Brighton to spend some time on the slopes.  They had a late start to their day . . . Andy had duties to attend to at the Klondike.  When he made it home I had a migraine hit with a vengeance.  I went to bed for an hour while he fed everyone lunch.  

They couldn't have chosen a prettier day . . . the sun was shining and it was warm . . . too bad there wasn't any fresh powder.  

Andy took pictures from his phone and sent them to me.  They will NOT load into this post.  I've tried and tried and tried and tried.  

The story behind almost losing Keanna goes something like this:  They were going down the slope (Andy and Taylei were both strapped into snowboards and Keanna was on skis) when Keanna noticed a hill she wanted to ski down.  Andy explained to her how this was NOT a good idea.  They were not able to see over the hill and the yellow caution sign was a pretty good indication injury was imminent if you followed this path.  A few runs later they went to the same area.  Keanna got off the lift and pointed.  She did turn a little as she went down the run but was basically trying to gain maximum speed and distance from the voice of her father.  By the time Andy realized her intentions, it was too late.  She was out of the reach of his ability to stop her. 

The people on the lift started to shout at Andy.  There was a cliff on the other side of the hill and Keanna had launched off of it.  The lift riders told Andy where she had landed and if their words were true she caught more air than Andy or any of her uncles have ever mustered.  

Keanna was walking back up the hill unharmed to retrieve her ski's when Andy reached her.  The snow in this area was still powdery since you were NOT suppose to be there.  Keanna was fine.  The age of miracles exists.  We have been blessed with one right after another.  

Keanna is fine.  I'm hoping she has learned to heed the voice of her father and realize yellow caution signs are put in place for our protection.

The rest of the day went without incident, only a few minor crashes which just means you are testing your limits and becoming better.

1 comments:

AndyW said...

Keanna is a good skier. But a couple times while we were skiing, she would crash a lot. I thought...what in the world. In fact, we had been skiing for a few hours, took a break, and when we came back to skiing she was struggling so much. I commented about how she could forget how to ski in the matter of 30 mins. Then I realized I hadn't buckled her ski boots. I buckled them up, and off she went. I would not have guessed having the boots buckled good would make that much of a difference....but it did.

I enjoy skiing with my kids! And my wife, when she is able to come!!

Post a Comment