Friday, March 2, 2012

The cat in the hat knows all about that

In honor of the most famous of authors and his birthday, my children have been celebrating the life of Theodor Seuss Geisel this week at school.  They are usually allowed to dress up as one of their favorite Dr. Seuss characters but this year they shook things up a bit and were allowed to dress up as any storybook character.

When Keanna was three or four years of age she memorized the book "Fancy Nancy."  It is about a girl who has a desire for all things fancy.  She even gives her family lessons to overcome their "plainness."  I read the book to Keanna's class today and remembered why it is also one of my favorites.

The ending page reads: 
'"I love you," my dad says.  "I love you," my mom says. 
And all I say back is, "I love you."  
Because there isn't a fancy--or better--way of saying that.'
Keanna decked herself out as Fancy Nancy, right down to the ribbon-wrapped ankles.  There were two complications to this.  1. It snowed three more inches of the fresh, white powder which is pretty cold on open toes.  2.  Ribbons stay up extremely well as long as you don't move.  If movement occurs said ribbons end up wrapped around your ankles.  Toe comfort was something Keanna was willing to sacrifice for the sake of beauty but I had NO solutions to problem 2.  I began helping Kyler get ready while I thought how to fix it.
Kyler wanted to be the Grinch.  This was a request where I had no costumes to help make his dreams reality.  Last night, at bedtime, I chose to read some stories that he could chose a character from, something I had supplies for.  The books were "Sloppy Joe," "Casey at the  Bat," and "How I Became a Pirate."  You can see which book won out.
And, in honor of Dr. Seuss and all the good he's done for children's literature, I'll end with one of his famous quotes . . .
"You have brains in your head. 
You have feet in your shoes. 
You can steer yourself, 
any direction you choose." 
Dr. Seuss


P.S. Andy fixed the ribbon problem.  While I was busy with Kyler he got out the safety pins and attached the top of the ribbon to the bottom of her leggings.  He is way too smart for me - I would have never thought of it.  My children are smart to believe there dad can fix ANYTHING, they may be right!

0 comments:

Post a Comment