During our brief trip into Costco yesterday, I noticed an event they were advertising: Book Signing by Brandon Mull, Saturday, March 17 from 9:30 to 11 am. Sirens, alarms, bells and whistles awoke in my mind. Brandon Mull. Keanna loves Brandon Mull.
Brandon Mull wrote the Fablehaven series. Keanna has read these books more than once. Brandon Mull is currently writing the Beyonders series. Book two became available to purchase on Tuesday. I purchased it for Keanna on Wednesday and she is already engrossed within the pages. He is one of her favorite authors.
I decided it should be a surprise. She awoke without complaint just before 8 am, all Andy had to do was use the word 'shopping' (Granny deeply imbedded this love in both my girls). The smile was magnified when I told her who we were going to see. She grabbed both of her Beyonders books for autographs, reminded me it was St. Patrick's Day (with a pinch for my lack of green), and we were on our way.
We arrived at Costco and the store was still closed (I can now say I opened Costco). A line was gathering but in non-normal fashion we were only three groups back with fifteen minutes more to wait. We joined in with the crowd discussing authors, book series and electronic reading devices. As we were about to go in, Keanna surveyed the waiting crowd and spotted Brandon Mull at the back of the line waiting to get in like the rest of us. Amusing -- first that she recognized him, second that he had to wait in line as well.
Keanna loved talking to him. He signed both her books and asked her if she had any questions for him. Her response, "How many books will be in the sequel series to Fablehaven?" We learned he has planned three. He has finished book three of the Beyonders and it is in the final editing stages. He is also writing a sequel to Candy Shop Wars.
And as providence would have it, Keanna found her purse buried deep in the couch last night. It had enough money in that when we were finished at Costco she requested we make a few more stops to find her a new shirt and new sandals. What an awesome day!
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
a magical dream come true!
happy keanna!
She seems too young to have a favorite author. Atleast, I would think that if I didn't know Keanna. I think as a 4th grader, yep just his one school year, she has read more books than I have in my life. *sigh, I need to read more books, I'm missing out!
Post a Comment