This is my dear husband, Andy. This is him on the bunny slopes of Brian Head. His feet are strapped to his snowboard. He happens to be quite good at this sport, not Olympic material, but can handle his own and makes it look easy.
Andy may, or may have not, fallen in love with me on this very slope. In December, 1997 he planned to take his brothers on a night skiing trip to Brian Head. He invited me along so they could have somewhere to spend the night -- Extremely long story and my story differs significantly from Andy's but I've written my version down and so in 50 years mine will be fact and his will be lost into the great abyss of the unknown.
Then a few weeks later, my family was headed to Brian Head to stay in Dave Wilkey's condo for the New Year's weekend. At this time, Andy and I were interested in dating and I invited him to join us. We had the shortest distance to drive and arrived first. He was sick with the flu, broke the glass on the fireplace while trying to start a fire and almost killed my sister, Mary Dawn, when he took her down her first black diamond. True love.
Fourteen years later the Brian Head tradition continues. We try and make it to the condo and on the slopes yearly. Andy has given up boarding (black diamonds anyways) and devoted his attention to helping our children. Taylei began as a skier (the biggest crush of her life so far has been her ski instructor), but now has her own snowboard and does really well. Keanna gave up her skis during this trip to become a snowboarder too. Kyler liked skiing and started to have success but hanging out in the condo was equally alluring. Aysen only got to play in the snow, Andy can only handle helping so many children at a time.
I made it out onto the slopes during the afternoons. Skiing is something I enjoy but I hate the cold which complicates things tremendously.
Taylei was lucky enough to share a bed with Aysen. To say she had a miserable night would be an understatement. She made sure they didn't share the same bed again. Notice how he has pushed her off the pillow? And how she has been forced down to the bottom of the bed? And his fingers are wrapped up in her hair. Evidence to the world as to why I sleep so much better when he doesn't sleep with me.
Special thanks to my mom and dad for making this trip possible, they are wonderful parents. I couldn't have been blessed with better. They still spend some time on the slopes with their skis on. They set an amazing example for my children. Thanks also to Dave Wilkey for still having an interest in the condo that he hasn't visited in over five years.
Event occurred January 26 - 29, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Yes, many good memories on the slope. And it is ok with me if your version of the story lives on, only minor details differ, the main thing is that the story continues to live and grow, there is no end... LYM
I also echo the thanks to Dave Wilkey, Craig, and Marylou. I love this tradition, and it is so fun to spend the time with family and friends on the slopes. I hope we make it back every year.
Post a Comment