1. Piano Festival. Taylei and Keanna performed their pieces today. The best thing about this? Superior Ratings. The second best thing? The four songs they have played, played, played, memorized and played some more can be forgotten. (Maybe not forgotten, I truly hope they will play them on occasion but anything more than this may be considered illegal).
On a side note, I believe both daughters may quit playing if the consequences weren't so great.
They are allowed, by me, to quit at anytime, but if they do quit, they also quit all other activities they are involved in. This list includes: dance, basketball, soccer, volleyball, leather craft, tennis, ipods, nooks and even the mighty, most important, not to be messed with softball.
I heard hints that others may consider be to be a 'mean' mom last night. Keanna loves spending time with her second-cousin Bailey. Bailey and Keanna get along beautifully. Bailey brings out Keanna's personality in its purest form. I learned that Bailey likes to limit the time Sulena and I visit. She is afraid her mom may impose some of my same rules. Examples: bedroom doors are to be shut NEVER or if you don't practice the piano the required amount, I am repaid for the lesson. Maybe my daughter's journals compare me to Cruella deVil or the Wicked Step-Mother, maybe even both?
2. Survival in Judging. I was asked to fill in and be a judge at the previous mentioned festival. Really? It is a good thing they didn't ask for a resume, my qualifications would have been seriously lacking. At one point, I was reading the music and comparing it to the notes the student was playing and felt like I was in way over my head. Had I missed a sign that called for the music to be played an octave lower? I was reassured when one of the other judges asked the student to play again with hands in the proper location. I was nervous but the poor students were terrified.
When it was over, I realized I had enjoyed the experience. Piano is a talent you have forever. Until I hear someone tell me the hours their mom forced them to practice in their youth were a waste of time, my girls are going to play.
Next question, when should I have Kyler start? A man is never sexier than when he is tickling the ivories, commanding them to send forth a melody that moves your very soul.
3. Keanna and her passion for the keyboard. Keanna seems to be at a desperate state in her development trying to decide what HER interests are. Piano? Nope, her mothers desire. Softball? Nope, something her father, grandfathers (yes, both) and even grandmothers want her to participate in. Dancing? Enjoys tremendously but. Duct Tape? Fad. Sewing? Fad. Ice Skating? For almost a week this is the only thing she talked about but once again, the desire seems to have past.
This week she began her adventure in her newest passion. The fourth grade has began a unit where they are learning to type. Home row keys and all. Every spare minute she is sitting at the keyboard. Today we found some typing games. Now she can increase her skills while saving the space ship from alien invaders one word at a time.
4. A patient husband. Tennis lessons 101 commenced at the tennis courts today. Andy helped Taylei and Keanna. I arrived and he devoted his attention to me. How I hold my racket, how I should spin the head, how I need to hit and get back to ready position and how I hit more home runs in 10 minutes than in my entire softball career (too bad that only took one). We volleyed a little but he only had to get into his ready stance for me to have a chill of terror run down my spine.
We have been married 14 years and in that time I can count on both hands the amount of tennis games he has gotten to play. This was his sport. He played doubles and they were slated to win state. He choked.
We keep saying we are going to start playing, then, he takes our family to the court and although he never shows his frustration, exasperation and desperation I know we drive him crazy. Too bad I don't find a private coach and gain enough skills to volley against him, then invite him on a surprise date to the tennis court, complete with a candlelight dinner, cute tennis skirt and a tennis game he could actually enjoy.
5. Beds that are unmade. Why? This bed, in its state of chaos, represents something good. Unmade beds usually don't make me smile but today I was lucky enough to be reminded of my bounteous blessings. I have a daughter (daughters and sons for that matter) who are healthy, active and my joy in this world. I realized there are parents of children who have passed to the other side of the veil who will never get to make a child's bed again. I will pull up the covers and be grateful the bed was slept in the night before.
6. A girl who loves the game as much as her dad. Taylei was invited to a friend's home for games and was in the process of getting ready when Andy informed her she needed to pitch before she could go. Outside she went to make her dad happy, wet just-got-out-of-the-shower hair and all. (Some of her pitching pictures make her arm look quite deformed. I really should turn them into a collage for her posterity's enjoyment). Since Tom and Jerian moved to California, Andy has stepped in as pitching coach until a replacement is found. I only ventured out and watched for a minute and it was obvious this is a problem in desperate need of a quick action.
7. The power of the sun. I love the shape of Andy's legs but after seeing them today, basked in the glory of winter white, I can't wait for the power of the sun to transform them into a glorious bronze.
8. The trampoline. Our yard no longer has a 5 feet deep by 14 feet wide hole. Andy must have given up on winter and has returned the mat to its proper location.
9. My right hand man. Grandma Lou bought shovels for my boys. A shovel of their very own. Kyler wanted to make sure his would not be mistaken for his brothers and in his finest Kindergarten handwriting, he labeled each one. He has been begging to dig weeds since the shovel was placed in his possession. I keep telling him it still isn't time. Today we found pits under the plum tree. He gathered them as quickly as possible and ran after his shovel, determined to plant them deep in the earth. I had to deny his location choices, right in the middle of my flower beds or the lawn wasn't quite what I had in mind. We finally agreed on a place or two and he commenced Operation Plant A Tree.
10. Spring is here. I believe Heavenly Father is the God of this earth. This earth was created under his direction and power. Miracles occur each and every day. One of which, tulips. Tulips. The bulbs sit in the earth through the summer, fall and winter and each spring, the plant pushes its way up through the rocks and frozen earth. Each spring we witness the love Heavenly Father has for us. The cold, dark days of winter are replaced with the vibrant colors and glorious new birth spring offers.
I love spring. I love knowing I'm loved on this earth and in heaven. My blessings are bounteous, especially if I take a break from my own agenda to look around and see what Heavenly Father has done for me.
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comments:
I think it is great that your kids are involved in so much. And as for the piano thing, just keep motivating them to continue lessons. I was adament that I wanted to quit lessons twice when I was growing up, and my mom would always tell me that it was a God given talent I should continue to work on. That would always motivate me not to quit. Now I'm really glad I stuck with it because it is one of my greatest joys in life. And whether or not they enjoy it now, it is always great to have the ability to play because it comes in handy a lot. For example, I always played in seminary in high school and it got me out of doing a lot of other things like the prayers or scriptures! LOL. It is also wonderful to be able to serve others with the piano by playing for people to sing, funerals, church meetings, weddings, the rest home, etc. I hope your kids will stick with it! :)
Post a Comment