Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Me, the Woobie

When Aysen was born, we spent a lot of time together in my bed.  It began with "kangaroo care" and developed into a lot of snuggling while I spent time on my laptop (enough time with my power cord at a bad angle that it frayed and ruined).

My hair was always in Aysen's face, long enough to make his life uncomfortable.  I trimmed four inches off to try and help him out but it seemed to always find a way to dangle in his face.

He took revenge on my hair.  He decided if it was going to be in his way he would grab hold.  This developed into a fixation and then addiction.  Most of the time I do not mind but as of late the holding has turned into pulling.  Ouch.

When he is tired he needs my hair in the similar way other children need binkies.  I have maintained my 'favorite' status at these moments, otherwise Andy followed closely by Taylei are in the running.  Taylei had a fascination with the lace on my garments, Keanna had a similar hair fixation but back then my hair was ten inches shorter so she played with the hair on the back of my neck.  As for Kyler, I do not remember him having a funny quirk.

Aysen usually grabs my hair with one hand and brushes his other hand with the ends.  This is done in a gentle manner.  It is during the night when he can't get comfortable and grabs hold at the most ridiculous angles that I want to break him of his habit.  Sometimes I wish he was addicted to a blanket, something I could give to him and remove myself from the room.  But then there's the downside, what if the blanket gets lost?  My hair is always on my head (glad it is not one of the many things I have lost over the years). But to break him of the habit I may have to shave my head bald.  And, as much as I threaten to take this action I'm NOT willing to give up the locks that I've waited 30 years to grow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment